Thursday, January 21, 2010

The LAME-inites....

So I was at work yesterday and per a previous conversation with my friend Ann (<3 she's cool) she asked a question regarding the garments we wear. She was really awesome about trying to be discreet about it cause she knew that people would have a hard time understanding exactly what or why, but the more "shady" she was being the more the people wanted to know what she was talking about. I really have no shame about my religion, I know that people won't always agree with it. But, just like I told Ann today on fb that tolerance is a part of free agency, the reason why I didn't get upset about the following story is because people have the choice to be as tolerant or as intolerant as possible, and who am I to judge about how they handle stuff. Anyways... I really didn't get too upset about this only because i know that they just didn't understand what I was saying, although I am sure that I didn't explain it very well either.

So after Ann asked her question, we got on the topics of temples and stuff. Penny started asking what was the difference between mormons and baptists. I told her that we still worship God, and we still view Jesus as the son of God and the savior of man, but that there was more to the story. I went through the story of Jesus coming to the americas and how he taught the people here. Of course as soon as I said the word Laminites instead of Native Americans, Penny took it as a racial slur against her heritage. I tried explaining that to her to and she was pretty well shut down by then. So I continued on with my story and how Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith and how the Book of Mormon (BoM) was found. I think she was pretty well turned off to the idea of it though.

I wish there was some way that I could have better explained this, although it does make me feel better about the missionaries, and it really does shine light on what they do every day. They go out and knock doors every day and get shot down all the time, but the still go out and still knock doors and still try to share their message.  It really is inspiring to know that they are blessed and set apart from God to be able to go forth with this calling. I know that not everyone will agree with what I believe, I don't agree with what some people believe either, I just know that I am not fit to judge. I just feel that as long as people approach my views with an open mind and not try and change what I believe I am fine with them. It's when the people start to shun me or judge me or make assumptions about things that I have problems with it. Oh well.... I'm just one day closer to paradise!

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment